Yesterday, I lost my Hahns Macaw, Gizmo, to an extremely unfortunate toy accident.
Gizmo chewed away the vine ball and wedged her head between the poly rope and bagel and couldn’t get out. I assumed her head was too big to fit. It wasn’t. If I had been there I could have cut the rope and got her out easily. But I wasn’t.
It was my error to give it to her. I do NOT blame the toy maker, but I also want others to know the risks in a seemingly harmless toy. If it was JUST the birdie bagel it most likely would not have been an issue, but the combination of birdie bagel with the rope running through the middle made it a perfect spot for her head to get caught.
I know most toy accidents are freak accidents, but before you put a toy in a cage, please check to see if there is anywhere they can stick their head in, get toes caught, etc. Check on toys every night to be sure they haven’t chewed them in a way that they are more dangerous than they were yesterday.
When people are paranoid about toys, there is a good reason. Heed those warnings. Don’t tell yourself “your bird” would never do something like that.
There are many toys on the market that use these bagels, and they string them up like this. I urge you to remove them from your home completely or only provide them while our bird is under direct supervision. Please don’t let your companions suffer the same fate as mine.